Resultat 1 till 13 av 13

Ämne: Buying a classic Saab 900 Convertible in Sweden?

Sugmotor
    Reg.datum
    feb 2005

Buying a classic Saab 900 Convertible in Sweden?

Hello everybody!

I am planning to go on a holiday / work trip to sweden sometime this summer and as I am a fan of classic Saabs I have thougt about the opportunity to maybe buy a 900 Convertible while I'm there.

I currently own a '91 900 turbo 16v Coupe and I'd really love to get a convertible with the same engine also built from '91 to '93.

My questions:
    • How do you guys see the chance of getting a car like this at a reasonable price? [/*:m:1ws5ia2h]
    • How much is a reasonable price with let's say 150000 km, leather, power steering, electric windows & mirrors, seat heating, tempomat and all the other nice stuff?[/*:m:1ws5ia2h]
    • Do you maybe have tips for websites or special shops selling used Saabs?[/*:m:1ws5ia2h]
    • Do you have any other remarks on this topic?[/*:m:1ws5ia2h]

I'd really appreciate any sort of help, so feel free..
    Thanks in advance and nice greetings from germany!..
    `91 900 turbo 16v

Steg 5 Kongos avatar
    Reg.datum
    jan 2003
    Medlem#
    Hi!

I think most second hand cars in Sweden (and new cars too) tend to have higher prices than in Germany. Its rather popular to go Germany and get a used car, because of the lower price.

On the other hand its a pretty unusual car you are looking for, and theres problably more 900 convertible for sale in Sweden than in Germany so it might be easyier to find a good car.

A good swedish site for cars (and other stuff) are www.blocket.se.

1. Choose an area on the map (doesent matter which one really. You can specify where in sweden you want to search by clicking on an area). Lets say, for example, number 11. Stockholm.

2. On the next page where the pop-down menu says "Stockholm". Change to "Hela Sverige" (Means you will search whole Sweden instead of just the area around Stockholm)

3. Write, for example "900 cab" or "900 cabriolet" in the search field. Press Enter or the "S'o'k" button.

4. Done. You will have a list of available cars presented.

Now, a little useful (i hope) wordlist, since the adds are in swedish.
    (Dont know how our three "special" letters (åäö) will look on your computer, but well give it a try)

Milage = Mätarställning
    Fuel = Bränsle
    Gearbox = Växellåda
    Leather = Läder / Skinn
    Powersteering (are on most cars) = Servostyrning
    Centrallocking = Centrallås (Short for this is "C-lås")
    Powermirrors = Elspeglar
    Powerwindows = Elhissar
    Aircondition = Luftkonditionering (Most people use the english short "AC")
    Seatheating = Sätesvärmare
    Remotelocking = Fjärrstyrt Centrallås
    Alarm = Larm
    Alloy wheels = Lättmetallfälgar (Short for this is "LM-Fälg")
    Alloy wheels = Aluminumfälgar (Short for this is "Alu-fälg")
    Engine pre-heating system = Motorvärmare
    Compartment pre-heating system = Kupevärmare
    Broken/Malfunction = Defekt (short is "def"), Trasig.
    Does not work = Fungerar inte, Funkar inte

Also, remeber that they are salting the roads in the winter (Exept the area, nr 3 and some salt-free areas in 1, 2 and 6 on the "Blocket" map. Hopefully most convertibles are not used in the winter, but you know that thers are a sertain risk for that anyway. Make sure you ask the seller about it.

An other page that works about the same way as blocket but are less used by people are www.gulatidningen.se

(And there is a "cars for sale" area on this forum too.)

http://forum.saabturboclub.com/phpbb1/v ... m.php?f=21

Might be worth a try...

Nuvarande bilar: Saab 9-3X XWD 2.0T BioPower -10 || Saab 9-5 Aero SportCombi -04
    Tidigare bilar: Saab 900 T8 -80 || Saab 9000i -87 || Saab 9-3t SE -00 (T5) || Saab 9000i -88A || Saab 900 SET -95 Kongo Edition -Steg3+

Steg 5 Kongos avatar
    Reg.datum
    jan 2003
    Medlem#
    And, by the way.

The old generation of 900 convertible are made to 1994. So if an ad has the modelyear 1994, it might be the old generation or the new generation of 900. So dont hesitate to click on an -94 car for it might be a late model classic 900 convertible.

(The standard 900 are on the other hand made to 1993.)

(I think... not 100% sure about this)
    Nuvarande bilar: Saab 9-3X XWD 2.0T BioPower -10 || Saab 9-5 Aero SportCombi -04
    Tidigare bilar: Saab 900 T8 -80 || Saab 9000i -87 || Saab 9-3t SE -00 (T5) || Saab 9000i -88A || Saab 900 SET -95 Kongo Edition -Steg3+

Sugmotor
    Reg.datum
    feb 2005
    Hey, thank you very much for your quick and really detailed help, that's way more then I could ever have expected. I already found some cars that might well be worth taking a look at. And really, as I suspected, they are a quite affordable compared to the prices for the convertible here in Germany.
    I have only one more question: I had the impression that you guys count the Mätarställning in miles rather than kilometers.. is that correct or did I just misunderstand something (the short version is alwas "mil")? Plus it seems common that used cars have a really low milage (i.e. 20000mil), even if the are from like 1987?
    `91 900 turbo 16v

Steg 2
    Reg.datum
    maj 2004
    That is almost correct.
    However, don't mix up the brittish "mile" with the swedish "mil".

10 kilometers = 1 swedish mil.
    I e, 20000 mil is actually quite a travel

(1 british mile = 1,6 kilometer)
    mvh Johan Kullberg

Steg 5 Kongos avatar
    Reg.datum
    jan 2003
    Medlem#
    Yes, we usually use miles instead of kilometers (not the english or american mile then. 10 kilometers = 1 mil)

And yes. Its not unusual that old cars has a pretty low milage. It depends. Some cars are used alot. Others less.

For example, my car is a 1995, and has 22000 mil.
    My mothers Saab 9000 from 1988 has 17000 mil.
    My fathers Mercedes E200 from 1999 has 30000 mil.

So it varies alot..

Steg 5 Kongos avatar
    Reg.datum
    jan 2003
    Medlem#
    hehe. Favst.

You were quicker than me...

Steg 2
    Reg.datum
    maj 2004
    I tend to hear that alot in my life

Sorry if I stole your lines Kongo.
    mvh Johan Kullberg

Steg 3 Loffes avatar
    Reg.datum
    feb 2003
    Medlem#
    Citat Ursprungligen postat av lutzone
    I had the impression that you guys count the Mätarställning in miles rather than kilometers.. is that correct or did I just misunderstand something (the short version is alwas "mil")? Plus it seems common that used cars have a really low milage (i.e. 20000mil), even if the are from like 1987?
    Thats correct

20 000 mil = 200 000 km

As Kongo wrot, "Hopefully most convertibles are not used in the winter,"
    Till mitt garage: Garaget

Steg 1
    Reg.datum
    jan 2003
    I have to disagree with Kongo.
    My experience tells me that vintage Saab 900 Convertibles in general are much more expensive in Germany than in Sweden.

If you look at Mobile.de (for example) you will notice that the cheap cars there in general has one of following things:

* ... is likley to be an non-turbo.

* ... has a very high milage.

* ... is not as well equipped as most other vintage 900 convertibles that was sold new in Sweden. For example, some does not have leather interior.

* ... perhaps even has damages mentioned already in the add.

A well equipped and turbocharged vintage 900 Convertible with decent milage is (accourding to me) almost everytime more exepensive in Germany than in Sweden.
    I would not hesitate that that really goes for vintage 900 in good condition overall, because in Germany people tend to pay almost anything for a vintage 900 in still good condition. Only collectors, but these guys sets the price ...

So I recommend you to look in Sweden.
    It is (in general) hard to find a vintage 900 in still good condition, but luckely the vintage 900 convertibles is almost always owned by true entushiast that knows how to take care of these cars.

After owning three vintage convertibles I have to say that my experience shows that a good car starts from 60.000 SEK, but for 1990 or later you probebly have to count with atleast 75.000 SEK or more.
    Sure, one or two 1990-models or newer has been sold for less money here in Sweden, but hey ... In those very few cases: Congratulations!

The only vintage 900 Convertibles that are of intrest for me are cars in very good condition, fully equipped and - of course - turbo-charged.
    That's also what I kept in mind while given the prices above.

When it comes to checkups I think I learned all possible traps the expensive way, so please don't hesitate to learn from my bad experience.

My first vintage 900 Convertible was inded in a terrible condition.
    Check the hydraulik-system located under the rightside of the backseat.
    It should be clean, not messy with oil.
    When rising the top, stop when the roof is pointing right up (inbetween open/close-mode).
    The roof of a car in still good condition should not move at all, just keep on pointing right up. If it goes down by itself (without you pressing any button), then you probebly will have to look at the hydrauliksystem in an near future. Warning! Very expensive stuff! Trust me! Been there, done that!

These cars are loaded with electrical gadgets. Check them all. Windows, mirrors, central looking, cruisecontrol, the top and perhaps even electrical adjustable seats (on later models).

Since you are intrested in only the latest models, be awared of cars equipped with Airbag-systems (SRS). After all, the cars are more than 10 years old. Myself I of course find airbagsystems to be great, but after more than 10 years without any probebly checkups or special airbag-services? If the SRS-warninglight lights on the dashboards display I would not take very easy on it.

Roof down, use an (don't find the english word for "domkraft" ... Anyone?) domkraft ... to rise either the front or the back of the car.
    In this mode you should be able to open and close both doors without any problems. If not, something is terrible wrong. If so, I would recommend you to forget the car and go look at an other object instead.

Vintage 900 Convertibles have in general a problem with the roofconstruction. The construction is knowed to easily make marks on the canvastop, in worst case leaving small holes, all located behind the back side window.
    I don't know how common this really is, but two of my three vintage 900 Convertibles shared that general problem.
    I have also understood by others that this is an general problem for vintage 900 Convertibles, and sadely I would have to agree.

The most importent thing to check up on any convertible is, of course, the roof itself. Does it stand water and keep the rain out?
    An common problem is that the rooflists (on the roof, along the sidewindows) often is in pieaces due to that they are completely dry.

Also look especially on the sidewindows. An common problem for vintage 900 convertibles is that the sidewindows sucks in air while up in speed. After a while the windos gets slightley funny angels when rised. If so, you will see it without any problem without any closer checkup.

If buying a car that was sold new in Sweden, be sure of that the car still has it's 3-pieace plastic roofprotection-cover (mounted only when the top is down) in storage. This plastic roofprotection-cover was standard on all vintage 900 Convertibles that was sold new in Sweden.
    Unfortently it is not rare that these plasticpieaces are lost. Not that easy to get hold of on the used market and new from Saab costs a small fortune (if they still got them, since the model is more than 10 years old).

Also note the the plastic roofprotection-cover uses an specialdesigned bag when not in use.
    However, some convertibles uses an soft roofprotection-cover, but it is not very common.

When it comes to the checkup in general, look after rust. Most likely to be found on the doors or underneath any plastic list.
    Also be sure to test both engien and gearbox to make sure of that everything works well. The gearbox is known to give up on vintage 900 overall.

I strongely recommend you to avoid cars with automatihic gearbox.
    Nothing wrong with automatihic gearbox in general, but the once in vintage Saab 900 were (accourding to me) never good.
    Only a 3-stage misable thing that change gears when it want to.
    Of course you could be lucky to find an good automathic gearbox, but I would doubt it.

When it comes to the yearmodels, then I agree totaly with Kongo.
    There were a couple of vintage 900 Convertibles sold as 1994 years model, but these cars are VERY rare.
    I would be surprised if you found any at all.

These are som of the things that I recommend you to check up when looking on a vintage 900 Convertible.
    Good luck!
    Dodge Viper / Porsche 996 C4 Cab / Hummer / Volvo S60 2,4T / Volvo V60 D2
    Professionell räksmugglare

Steg 5 Kongos avatar
    Reg.datum
    jan 2003
    Medlem#
    Citat Ursprungligen postat av Mr Dezent
    use an (don't find the english word for "domkraft" ... Anyone?) domkraft ...
    I think the word you are looking for is "Jack" ?

Steg 5 Kongos avatar
    Reg.datum
    jan 2003
    Medlem#
    Citat Ursprungligen postat av Favst
    I tend to hear that alot in my life

Sugmotor
    Reg.datum
    feb 2005
    Citat Ursprungligen postat av Mr Dezent
    A well equipped and turbocharged vintage 900 Convertible with decent milage is (accourding to me) almost everytime more exepensive in Germany than in Sweden.
    I would not hesitate that that really goes for vintage 900 in good condition overall, because in Germany people tend to pay almost anything for a vintage 900 in still good condition. Only collectors, but these guys sets the price ...
    Too true ... Somehow and with a lot of luck I managed to get a good and fully equiped '91 900 turbo 16 coupe for around 27000 Kr in Berlin (without the Airflow Kit though) but the same car as a convertible would easily cost me a 95000 Kr when bought somewhere around here, and I don't count on the luck I had with the other one..
    So traveling to Sweden to check for cars really seems to be well worth a second thought. I still have to find out how complicated (and expensive) it is to get a german licence for a car imported from sweden, but as soon as I know about that I might really book a flight to your beautiful country. You guys are really a big help for me.. Thank you so much, yet again!
    `91 900 turbo 16v

Liknande ämnen

1. saab 9000 2.0 t classic -98
    Av SpennisH i forum Verkstäder, försäkringar och köpråd
    Svar: 1
    Senaste inlägg: 2012-10-16, 10:19
  2. SAAB Classic 900 drawing available
    Av akiracom i forum International SAAB related talk
    Svar: 0
    Senaste inlägg: 2012-09-16, 19:08
  3. Saab Advertising in Sweden
    Av saabhistory i forum International SAAB related talk