Resultat 1 till 17 av 17

Ämne: Unleaded benzin

Sugmotor
    Reg.datum
    nov 2017
    Medlem#
    -

Unleaded benzin

IS it possible to use unleaded benzin in non catalyzed engines in a 900. I guess they might have the hardened ventils seats. I ve read that most of alloy head cylinders has hardened ventil seats. Can anyone confirm this?
    Saab 900 OG Arjeplog

Helt original
    Reg.datum
    okt 2007
    what year is the car manufactured?
    model?
    9-3 -03 2,0 Cab.
    9-3 -08 SC Tid Utbytt till en V60 R-Design -15 D4 Polestar
    ''Kvalitet är när kunderna kommer tillbaka, men inte produkterna.''

Sugmotor
    Reg.datum
    nov 2017
    Medlem#
    -
    1984 900 turbo
    Saab 900 OG Arjeplog

Helt original
    Reg.datum
    okt 2007
    as i understand so 16 valve from -84 is ok for unleaded fuel and the 8 valve from -85 is ok ( or late 84, engine number E51661 carburator engine only ).
    i think it is an good idea to have a god check/kontroll of the valveclerance from time to time
    9-3 -03 2,0 Cab.

Sugmotor
    Reg.datum
    nov 2017
    Medlem#
    -
    I read that all cars with aluminium cilinder head (H engine after 81) has hardened ventil seats. But your information says only after 84/late 84. So is unclear the reason for this change. Also all american cars use unleaded from late 70, does this mean that Saab produced different head cilinders depending markets?
    Senast redigerat av Moderator den 2021-01-22 klockan 00:16. Anledning: No point in quoting the whole text when the post comes right after what is quoted
    Saab 900 OG Arjeplog

Steg 5 Mr.Os avatar
    Reg.datum
    nov 2004
    Medlem#
    ja
    I take the oppurtunity to recommend the least read book in the world. The instruction manual.
    It should be possible to find the fuel information there. Most manuals are available on the net. I would start looking there.

1 användare gillar detta inlägg

§9974§90081§900086§95039502§9502*900095*9304*9509*9509
    CarbonGrey,CosmicBlue,LaserRed,LeMansBlå,Odoardogrå,Silver,Svart,White
    Aero4Arc2Biopower3Griffin2CC2Turbo2Vector2

Emeritus
    Reg.datum
    okt 2003
    I don't think there will be any references to unleaded fuel in the Swedish manual from 1984. It was still illegal to run a car with catalytic converter at that time, and unleaded fuel didn't arrive anywhere near Sweden for another 3-4 years.
    Perhaps if one can source a US manual, things might be clearer on the subject, but in any European manual: probably not.

Perhaps the workshop manual for the year could give hints, but the chance of finding one might be slim.

Helt original
    Reg.datum
    okt 2007
    Citat Ursprungligen postat av darwinland Visa inlägg
    I read that all cars with aluminium cilinder head (H engine after 81) has hardened ventil seats. But your information says only after 84/late 84. So is unclear the reason for this change. Also all american cars use unleaded from late 70, does this mean that Saab produced different head cilinders depending markets?
    yes i have read it too
    but I also remember that Saab approved for unleaded fuel from the year 85 but only a few years later when we in Sweden started using unleaded fuel
    it is also most likely that saab has had different cylinder heads depending on the market specification
    saab has different heads depending on engine specification / type / power level
    9-3 -03 2,0 Cab.

Sugmotor
    Reg.datum
    nov 2017
    Medlem#
    -
    Citat Ursprungligen postat av LarsLars Visa inlägg
    yes i have read it too
    but I also remember that Saab approved for unleaded fuel from the year 85 but only a few years later when we in Sweden started using unleaded fuel
    it is also most likely that saab has had different cylinder heads depending on the market specification
    saab has different heads depending on engine specification / type / power level
    You mean perhaps few years before Sweden aproved unleaded benzin, my guess is that unleaded benzin inSweden was approved in 87. Perhaps it have sense that Saab started prepare engines (late 84), ventils seat hardened but no catalyzed yet, years before unleaded was approved in Sweden.
    Saab 900 OG Arjeplog

Emeritus
    Reg.datum
    okt 2003
    California mandated catalytic converters from what? 1976? So, SAAB must have had hardware ready for unleaded fuel at that time, long before the c900.

Sugmotor
    Reg.datum
    nov 2017
    Medlem#
    -
    Yeah, thats my thought, if they use cilinder head aluminium alloy, why do they have to produce different ventil seats regarding if the market is leaded or unleaded petrol
    Saab 900 OG Arjeplog

Helt original
    Reg.datum
    okt 2007
    the answer to that is probably: money
    Valve seats in hardened / stainless steel are probably more expensive than standard, so two different versions are made
    there is also a difference between "Swedish" cylinder heads depending on whether it is injection or turbo (turbo> sodium-cooled valves, for example)
    all manufacturers (not just car manufacturers) are "frugal" and if they can save money, they do so unless it is regulated by legal requirements or by market / country / regional rules

9-3 -03 2,0 Cab.

Sugmotor
    Reg.datum
    nov 2017
    Medlem#
    -
    Citat Ursprungligen postat av LarsLars Visa inlägg
    as i understand so 16 valve from -84 is ok for unleaded fuel and the 8 valve from -85 is ok ( or late 84, engine number E51661 carburator engine only ).
    i think it is an good idea to have a god check/kontroll of the valveclerance from time to time
    What do you mean with that engine number. All following engine numbers are valid for unleaded petrol? What do you mean only with carburator?
    Saab 900 OG Arjeplog

Steg 4 GlennBs avatar
    Reg.datum
    dec 2006
    Medlem#
    You mean perhaps few years before Sweden aproved unleaded benzin, my guess is that unleaded benzin inSweden was approved in 87. Perhaps it have sense that Saab started prepare engines (late 84), ventils seat hardened but no catalyzed yet, years before unleaded was approved in Sweden.
    The first cars with cat was sold as MY1987 in Sweden, so probably the unleades fuel was available before that ?
    Nu: SAAB 9-5 Aero '07, SAAB 9-5 Aero SC '05, SAAB 9-5 2.0t '99 (Skrotas/säljs dessvärre trots återupplivandet.. ) ..Nu med Tech2.
    Då: SAAB 900 turbo '83, SAAB 9000i '92, SAAB 9000CDE 2.3t '96, SAAB 9-5 2.3t '01

Helt original
    Reg.datum
    okt 2007
    What do you mean with that engine number. All following engine numbers are valid for unleaded petrol? What do you mean only with carburator?
    yes all engines above that number is ok for unleaded fuel
    only carburator is just only carburator and not fuelinjected engines

also from EPC: if your car is equipped with exchange cylinder head artikelnumber 7896905 it is suitable for unleaded fuel exept 900 turbo -81-82 without APC

9-3 -03 2,0 Cab.

Sugmotor
    Reg.datum
    nov 2017
    Medlem#
    -
    To my knowledge unleaded bezin starts 1987 in Sweden

- - - Uppdaterad - - -

To fully understand all engines above E51661, no matter injection or carburator?
    Saab 900 OG Arjeplog

Steg 5 Mr.Os avatar
    Reg.datum
    nov 2004
    Medlem#
    ja
    I found a US manual, but I didn't find the answer myself. Here i a link to more info: Vintage Saab Manuals Online

§9974§90081§900086§95039502§9502*900095*9304*9509*9509
    CarbonGrey,CosmicBlue,LaserRed,LeMansBlå,Odoardogrå,Silver,Svart,White
    Aero4Arc2Biopower3Griffin2CC2Turbo2Vector2

Liknande ämnen

1. [LÖST] Dramatisk ökning av bränsleförbruking
    Av ASTVIC i forum Motor och motorstyrning
    Svar: 9
    Senaste inlägg: 2010-03-13, 09:53

Behörigheter för att posta

• Du får inte posta nya ämnen
  • Du får inte posta svar